Start

Making a film means finding solutions to a huge number of problems.

For the past three months, I’ve been writing a new screenplay. The outline has been ready for a while, but the actual writing takes time, patience, and a ridiculous amount of rules to learn.

The film will be shot in 4:3 with the original Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera and a Meike 12mm lens. I’ll also be using a couple of filters, a Black Pro-Mist and a Glimmerglass 1, to get a slightly washed-out, dreamy image. To push that look even further, I’ll use haze spray on set to create a subtle mist in the air.

Over the past few months, I’ve done test after test, worked a lot on the technical side, took a color grading masterclass, learned proper screenplay formatting, and slowly put all the equipment together.

Every time I think I have everything, something else is missing. The LCD monitor I was using with the camera wasn’t good enough, so I had to buy another one. Then I needed a new memory card for the Blackmagic, which turned into another headache because many newer cards simply don’t work with the original Pocket Cinema Camera.

I’m also testing two different solutions for dolly shots. I have a small electronic dolly and a larger manual one that I can put the tripod on.

Right now I’m trying to save money for the actual shoot, which should happen in November, but it’s almost impossible because there always seems to be one more thing I need to buy.

It’s been a bit of a mess, but slowly I’m solving everything, and I’m very happy with how things are coming together.

This blog will be my place to vent, writing about everything that happens behind the scenes while I try, one problem at a time, to get this film made.

Comments

Popular Posts